Why do the Philippines always solve disputes with diplomacy? And why women should grab Kitty guns along with their lipsticks

By | May 5, 2012

It’s been days that I have been reading a lot of write-ups concerning this ‘resource dispute’ over Scarborough Shoal at West Philippine Sea, China has been setting up structures on these disputed oil-rich, marine-resource rich islands claiming it’s theirs. Just today, Senator Enrile calls on the nation to support President Aquino on our claim on what is rightfully ours.

I’m suppose to write on a tone that would pass judgment on the Philippine Government to wage war against China – but it’s not the Philippine style.  I figured out and the way Philippine Government is finding a way out of this dispute is through peaceful diplomacy – I almost forgot Filipino people made history in resolving supposed-to-be bloody revolution in a bloodless way – and it comes in no surprise why we’re doing this strategy again. My raw assumption is that, we can’t beat China’s military power head-on – let’s admit it, it’s better that way, our military is operating on logistics far below that of advanced nations armed forces does – hence, the idea of resolving this the intelligent way is by far the sharpest line of attack.

I care less if women will be required to carry guns for the reason of defending our sovereignty, it’s an obligation I should fulfill being a loyal citizen of this country. I only have one demand – have my gun in Kitty.

And oh, wait, didn’t we see this coming? Why had all our men dropped military training? I remember when I was in high school everyone is required to enroll CAT (Citizen’s Military Training) and get compulsory units in ROTC (Reserved Officer’s Training Course) in college – what happen? Philippine men are better off finding shelters under their momma’s skirts than building strength to later on be on guard of our sovereignty. This notion doesn’t just call unto men, women who are willing to hold guns along with lipsticks might as well reconsider – and if this happens we just have to augment provisions to protect them from exploitation – I demand.

Can somebody translate the map with bold Chinese characters on it? How can one nation claim a territory so far away from its mainland? Historically, wars waged in the Philippines were never hers, but if this escalates to some new scary, bloody level, I refused to think about it, then probably this is her first official warfare waged  to defend its territory and as to what strategy and weaponry the Philippines will bring into play that remains to be seen.

Once thing is certain, Uncle Sam who is also  interested to take part of the pie will play a part in and until then, waaaaah … am I watching drama too much, I’m imagining our mayor ordering that all men will prepare themselves and be pawned unto battle, oh no, we’re short of men in this household, I’ve no plans of doing ‘ala Mulan’ but probably willingly shoulder the gun and get into sea of battle and do lipstick retouch when allowed to, I look so bare in guns without lipstick. Gaaahhhhh, for christsake, why can’t China drill a hole in their yard and explore the bottoms of their earth, hell, I care less even if they pass the mantle and inner core, they’re way too brilliant to find a way out of there ….. why are they encroaching sea  spaces they aren’t suppose to?

The odd part is that I’m caught between my adoration and detestation of this China-Phil issue, you know I’m a real fan of this ancient Chinese military guy named Sun Tzu and I wonder if ancient strategy can still be effective in today’s space and time and if it is so, it might be that … when the enemy is close at hand and remains quiet, he is relying on the natural strength of his position. When he keeps aloof and tries to provoke a battle, he is anxious for the other side to advance. If his place of encampment is easy of access, he is tendering a bait. – Sun Tzu. Both parties might have thought about this.

Share Button

38 Comments

C.D. on 2012/05/22 at 6:10 AM.

I’m afraid I know very little about Philippine’s politics, but I’m really struck by the idea that young men in your country were required to take military training. Not young women, too?

Yannie on 2012/05/22 at 6:20 AM.

Well said Vernz!!!!! :-)

Bitaw ngano man gyud makig-ilog pa ang China nga kadako-dako sa ila land area basi daghan pa sila ma discover sa ila country better than what’s in the Spratly island.. Hahay…

anne lei on 2012/05/22 at 8:39 AM.

I agree with your sentiments. Actually, we are advised by our suppliers that the products from China going to Philippines is thoroughly inspected. This is not done before until the banana exportation to China press release. I hope our Philippine government look into it.

Aileen on 2012/05/22 at 9:34 AM.

No doubt the Chinese read Sun Tzu’s “The Art of War.” I think we could all learn a lot from that. Your assumption that we can’t beat their military power is the grim reality. If we choose to fight, we should at least know we have a fighting chance. Principles, we probably have, but let’s admit we lack in terms of resources and that is one BIG element in waging war, if we must.

Oh and yes, where are the men? I wouldn’t mind being like Mulan if we fight for something worthy. We should have done that way back the Sabah days…

Aileen on 2012/05/22 at 9:35 AM.

PS….that said, diplomacy is the only way to go about this for now

michi on 2012/05/22 at 9:37 AM.

just like sabah, malaysia. AFAIK this place used to be owned by PH. parang binubully na lang tayo ng mas powerful na country.

Maye Domencil on 2012/05/22 at 12:34 PM.

The Government is doing it the peaceful way because they know that many Filipino will be affected if they will fight against China, the Chinese way. hehe. Hirap lang naman kasi na lagi na lang tayo inaagawan tapos tayo pa gigipitin. I hope this will pass and China will let us own the Shaol, parang impossible ata ito, Lol!

Chan on 2012/05/22 at 1:04 PM.

Love that cute gun! But no, I hate violence, kidding.

Jerminix on 2012/05/22 at 2:06 PM.

We have really no choice but to settle through diplomacy rather than non sense bloodshed just by going to a war we have little chance to win.

jackie on 2012/05/22 at 2:08 PM.

Hello kitty gun- so cute! hahahaaha.. yeah you are right: pen is mightier than sword indeed!

Rae on 2012/05/22 at 4:07 PM.

I can’t help but feel bullied by a big kid in school. Parang, feeling nila, they can just take anything away from us, kahit na they don’t have a right to it.

Thing is, kahit isama ang babae, mas madami pa din silang soldiers, armory, and I bet they have a lot of weapons we don’t know about out.

__
Thanks for leaving a note on my blog. and I agree with what you said, “after all these are done, these stuff aren’t bio friendly right? they can’t be coaster forever.” Yes, our first goal is to minimize and reduce. So, instead of buying coasters, go around the house to see stuff you can use as a coaster.

yuuki on 2012/05/22 at 4:15 PM.

cute HK gun but i think i’ll pass…we should really have every right to claim the shoal (i forgot the local name) but let’s try first legal and diplomatic ways ;)

Gie on 2012/05/22 at 4:57 PM.

I’m afraid, if push comes to shove, the said island would be sacrificed just to prevent war from happening. I don’t think we are ready for war, and I think they (Chinese) are also aware of this. :(

Jellybelly on 2012/05/22 at 8:42 PM.

Even if our government wanted, we have to choice but to go the diplomatic way. We have no firepower to back us up. This has been going on forever, I wish it can be resolved soon but I doubt it.

Jessica Cassidy on 2012/05/23 at 4:13 AM.

Here in America, we are trying to buy American products but the problem is? you seldom see products that are made in America :-( most are from China and even some from the Philippines :-) What a very interesting article Momi Verns :-)

Lalah on 2012/05/23 at 9:56 AM.

haaaaaaaaaay my ged!!! I refuse to even think of a war noh. I got a cute baby to raise. And I have plans of multiplying cute babies pa. It’s just out of the picture.

Please lang China!!!!! go away. Or make an island of your own… Your Good in imitations anyway right, we only come second lol

Dominique@Dominique's Desk on 2012/05/23 at 1:53 PM.

We still have compulsory national service here in Singapore. I think it is good as it makes men “grow up” and take care of themselves, family and country.

Gil Camporazo on 2012/05/23 at 5:07 PM.

Diplomacy is the answer to resolve this problem over Shoal between the PH and China. Sovereignty over a territory, especially claiming it wherein there’s no clear authority to do it is very dangerous. And believe it couldn’t be won right away. It will take a hundred years if they insist.

Nica on 2012/05/23 at 7:50 PM.

Why fight over a piece of land? Senseless fighting. I know if we can have the shoal we’ll gain more resources but again aren’t we the underdogs someone we’ll grab it from us again and again. Right Jellybelly we do not have enough guns even if we add that cute pink gun. I’ll just call Merlin and have him make another shoal for China para everybody happy. Pwede ba yun?

reese on 2012/05/23 at 7:51 PM.

chinese claims over the spratly and other islands is absurb! these are within the 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zone (EEZ) of our country defined by the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)
China must not violate Philippine national sovereignty and territorial integrity and UNCLOS
however, the Aquino government’s posture against China such as anti-Chinese rallies and provocations just serve to the US interest tostrengthen its hegemony in the US
kung wala ang pakikialam ng US hindi hahantong sa ganito kalalang problema ang China at Pilipinas, kung wala ang pakikialam ng US maaayos in a diplomatic way ang problema na ito

zoan on 2012/05/23 at 9:03 PM.

TAMA! dapat kasi yung ROTC sa college, compulsory pa rin sa mga lalaki. hindi ung pinapapili na sila kung san sila hiyang:D

Sanna on 2012/05/24 at 10:41 AM.

Very witty article. Diplomacy is a filipino trademark. My hope is up that thru diplomacy, this dispute willbe settled. On a lighter note, I love the gun!

Samantha Lee on 2012/05/24 at 11:55 AM.

I love your article. Light and witty. Hmm… Pink guns would definitely scare them away. :D

kat on 2012/05/24 at 9:44 PM.

I am all for diplomacy.

Gelo on 2012/05/25 at 11:48 AM.

hehehe… watta sentiments… still the best solution for this issue is diplomacy.:)

Cristine on 2012/05/25 at 2:08 PM.

Nice Hello Kitty gun. So cute! :)
Great article

Grace on 2012/05/26 at 9:12 AM.

nice post sis… my girl will surely love your kitty gun…hahahaha…

NelsonRN on 2012/05/26 at 4:14 PM.

Well said!
I also hope and pray that this dispute is resolved in diplomacy. We have to admit that the Philippines is no match with giant China. I’m sure the Chinese wouldn’t want blood to spill on this issue either.
Let’s all pray harder :)

Eccentric Yet Happy on 2012/05/26 at 7:37 PM.

Hope that this dispute between our country and China will end soon.

sarah on 2012/05/26 at 8:10 PM.

I come from a family of soldiers during War World II, two of my uncles even joined the Death March in Bataan, the eldest, finished it, while the one had escaped. Even my dad was trapped in Angeles City when the War broke out because he was a house boy for an American family in Angeles City.

The memories and scars of war were buried deep among Filipinos and as long as there are still people left who remember continue to tell these stories to the next generations, they will know that in war there are no winners but only casualties.

Paula on 2012/05/26 at 9:54 PM.

Their bullying leaves me with a bitter taste in the mouth. I can’t believe this is happening in modern day and age. :(

Mona on 2012/05/26 at 10:43 PM.

Its really sad thing, I hope everything will solve in a peaceful way, cute non hello kitty gun =)

miekee_18 on 2012/05/26 at 11:17 PM.

Very well said..
We just hope and pray that everything will end in a peaceful way:)cute ng gun ha:)

Miss `Chievous on 2012/05/27 at 12:55 AM.

Naku. Di kaya ng Pilipinas i defend yung sarili niya, I mean when we talk of the war equipment ha? We are so poor to purchase them. Lol. Natawa naman ako sa Kitty gun. Pero I do hope and pray that our country will fight for what is rightfully ours.

(¯`•¸Geca¸•´¯) on 2012/05/27 at 1:13 PM.

They think very little of Filipinos that they assume they can grab hold anything they want that are in or near and around Philippines. This thought leaves a disgusting bitter taste in my mouth.

Shadz on 2012/05/27 at 5:21 PM.

Hahaha, you had me laughing out loud at the Hello Kitty gun photo. :) But I still am not sure about waging war against China. I don’t think we’ll end up with that given that we are now under sovereign clauses yata sa international law. Pero swapang pa rin ang China! Boo!

Jona on 2012/05/28 at 3:42 PM.

Hahahaha! Cute naman ng kitty gun! One morning I checked my fb and my place says I’m in a place called Jiangmen. I got suddenly frightened by the thought that china might have conquered the whole Philippines already and I didn’t know it.

Gaylee on 2012/05/30 at 11:40 AM.

Ang cute namang ng Kitty gun!! How about a Barbie-inspired? Violent na kikay, haha! But seriously, we really need to do something para di tayo kinakayan-kayanan ng ibang lahi. I’m half-chinese by the way. lol!

Leave Your Comment

Your email will not be published or shared. Required fields are marked *